COABC - Standards
COABC adopted the Canada Organic Standard as the standard for the BC Certified Organic Program as of Jan 1, 2009. Products certified as organic under a CB's ISO program and certified using the Canada Organic Standard are considered compliant with the federal Organic Products Regulation and may display the Canada logo if desired. These products may also carry the BCCO checkmark. Organic products certified under a CB's Regional Program may only display the BCCO checkmark.
Management Standards for the BC Certified Organic Program
COABC publishes Book 2 - the Organic Management Standards for the BC Certified Organic Program . These are the rules that apply in BC for the BC Certified Organic Program and for those who wish to use the BC checkmark. They are specific to that program and therefore all of the information is relevant to the Certification Bodies in the Regional Program. However it is also expected that CBs in the ISO program will also find the information helpful.
It does not provide all the details of the Canadian Production Standard which COABC has adopted as the standard for the BC Certified Organic program but provides extra guidance regarding certification procedures when applying the standard. It also includes the requirements for the labelling of certified organic product in the province.
The lastest version of Book 2 (pdf) can be downloaded by clicking here.
The current Canadian General Standards Board's Canada Organic Standard are available:
- CAN/CGSB 32.310 General Principles and Management Standards
- CAN/CGSB 32.311 Permitted Substances Lists
- Standard Revisions image
A Guide to Understanding the Canadian Organic Standard written by the Canadian Organic Growers is a non-binding document that may assist producers in understanding the standards.
Standards Interpretation Committee Decisions
The Canadian Organic Office (COO), collaborating with representatives of the organic sector, has created an advisory body; the Standards Interpretation Committee (SIC), to assist in the interpretation of the Canadian Organic Standard (CAN/CGSB 32.310 and CAN/CGSB 32.311).
- Information about the committee and how it functions
- Questions and Answers Regarding the National Standards for Organic Agriculture
- Questions and Answers - Organic Certification of Slaughtering Activities
- There is a 60 day comment period for newly proposed SIC Questions and Answers. To receive the drafts, sign up for the CanReg Listserve a cross country information sharing service. Click here to subscribe and here to remove yourself from the CanReg Listserve.