Posting: Editor for the BC Organic Grower (BCOG) Quarterly
Request for Proposal
The Certified Organic Associations of BC (COABC) is seeking an experienced editor to work with the BCOG layout designer in producing the BC Organic Grower Magazine.
- The primary use of the journal is to communicate and educate COABC members by including:
- Reports, promotion and interpretation of COABC goals, events, projects and activities to members
- Required information regarding standards, accreditation, supply management etc. to fulfill legal requirements of information dissemination
- Submissions celebrating BC organic growers
- Educational content about organic practices
- Useful, practical resources and analysis to members
- The journal is, to some extent, a public face of COABC (i.e. it is published on the website and is available at public events)
Estimated Time: 30 hrs per issue
- Overall maintenance of a 32 page (minimum) journal with high quality editorial content, photos, and advertising in keeping with the quality and spirit of the journal’s tradition
- Research & build awareness of issues in the COABC and the organic movement
- Maintain and update the list provided by COABC of writers and experts to write on important issues & standards of COABC
- Solicit copy and writers with support from COABC Board, Office and contractors
- Collect submissions which celebrate COABC & CB member achievements
- Send calls for submissions out in a timely manner, ensuring time for editorial process
- Send timely reminders to ensures writers are meeting deadlines
- After receiving submissions, perform copyediting, proofreading, general editing
- Work in close collaboration with the Layout Designer to provide edits and proofing and support the development of a visually effective publication
- Keep the journal text-rich to maintain a professional presentation
- Ensure copy does not offend
- Report to the COABC Administrator regularly on a monthly basis or as required
- Provide prompt response to COABC staff and other contractor’s email and telephone communications
- Send list of writers and their addresses to the office (including each contributor’s credentials or specialty and contact info) so that COABC can send out a thank you and a copy of the Issue
The Contractor shall possess the following qualifications:
- Proven professional ability to edit a publication of this scope
- Sound knowledge of the organic principles and community
- Flexibility and good interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in all formats including electronic, by phone and in person
- Maintain an office independent of the COABC
The successful applicant will work closely with the COABC Staff and Layout Designer to:
- guarantee appropriate content (see BCOG mandate above),
- meet deadlines for printing and distribution, and
- operate within the publication budget.
Interested candidates should submit proposals to the COABC Administrator. Proposals should include a CV and a work plan detailing applicants ability to remain within the editorial budget of $1200 per issue. Email proposals to Jen Gamble, COABC Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for proposals is Friday, April 26, 2013 by 5pm. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to shadow the current editor for the BCOG Summer issue and then be expected to deliver their first issue (Fall 2013) to printers by September 6, 2013.